Country/Southern Rock

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Country/Southern Rock

Postby Durwood » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:54 am

As somebody else had mentioned here it is nice to see this type of music make a comeback. I was a big southern rock fan in the seventies. I had quite a few albums then but i think i had given them away eventually.
The bands i enjoyed and had their albums were. In no particular order.

Allmans
Charlie Daniels
Marshall Tucker
Skynyrd
PPL
Poco
Wet Willie
New riders of the purple sage
Elvin Bishop
Atlanta Rhythym section
Outlaws
Mcguffey Lane
Grinderswitch

The Byrds i enjoy but never had any of their albums. Has anyone ever heard the song "Chestnut Mare" by them? A great song.

Funny thing is a really enjoy the Eagles earlier stuff now but don't know why i wasn't into them back then. I know it partly was because i didn't like Don Henleys arrogance. Their earlier albums that were more country were great and my favorite is the Desperado one.

I'm sure i have forgotten some, but who did you guys all listen to in the Southern rock scene?

Durwood
Durwood

Postby jpmagg3 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:06 pm

The catagories get a little blurred from the early '70s - on; besides PPL & the others you listed, some of my biggest influences were Amazing Rythm Aces, Dillards, Gram Parsons/Burrito Bros, Grateful Dead (esp American Beauty & Workingmans Dead) Steve Stills & Manassas...I know I'm also forgetting a bunch. The Byrds had a huge impact starting with Sweethearts of the Rodeo; as I remember the next couple of albums included the pieces that showed up in the Easy Rider soundtrack as well.

I recently downloaded a newer release of the Byrds live at the Fillmore in '69 from the Napster pay site - incredible! No pedal steel at the show and the vocals are a little rough, but Clarence White is on every track tearing it up with a b-bender tele...good stuff.

JP
jpmagg3

Postby denosb » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:27 pm

hey you all from the cincy area remember Wheels?i always thought of them as the locals runnersup to the kings of the local music scene as PPL was (and still is ) the front runners.They did the country-rock thing better than anyone here for the time they were here.What can we do with our memories
denosb

Postby jpmagg3 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:35 pm

denosb wrote: hey you all from the cincy area remember Wheels?

yeah I always enjoyed those guys - Mike Wheeler had a class act put together! The one song I've got of theirs on vinyl is from the '77 WEBN Album Project #2- a great tune called "Keep Movin' On", written by Mike Baney. I had to pull out the album to check the name and noticed another song I really liked from the same called "Please Don't Open The Door" by a band named Coyote - any Cincy locals know what might have become of them?

JP
jpmagg3

Postby Durwood » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:08 pm

denosb wrote:hey you all from the cincy area remember Wheels?i always thought of them as the locals runnersup to the kings of the local music scene as PPL was (and still is ) the front runners.They did the country-rock thing better than anyone here for the time they were here.What can we do with our memories

I'm from around the Dayton area and never heard of them. I feel i missed out on some good music. I have heard a lot about Gram Parsons and how many consider him to be the father of country rock, but i haven't heard much from him.

Durwood
Durwood

Postby pureleaguefan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:27 pm

Good Southern Country Rock will never leave my side......I went to a lot of concerts in the late 70's early 80's and saw most of these bands. My favs are:

Marshall Tucker
Lynyrd Skynyrd
PPL
Grateful Dead
Crosby Stills Nash Young
Ozark Mountain Daredevils

I just got a new Tucker CD Live version and the track "24 Hours At A Time" really rocks! I was listening to it and thinking......."too bad I was in such a haze back then.........I more than likely experienced that live and in person, but can't remember." Oh............those were the days!
Lori 8)
pureleaguefan

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:57 pm

jpmagg3 wrote:denosb wrote: hey you all from the cincy area remember Wheels?

yeah I always enjoyed those guys - Mike Wheeler had a class act put together! The one song I've got of theirs on vinyl is from the '77 WEBN Album Project #2- a great tune called "Keep Movin' On", written by Mike Baney. I had to pull out the album to check the name and noticed another song I really liked from the same called "Please Don't Open The Door" by a band named Coyote - any Cincy locals know what might have become of them?

JP

I have been trying to find an album by Wheels that was recorded on Boardwalk Records and was produced by Craig, but with no luck.

Anyone know anything about this? Title? Year? Pictures of it?

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby jpmagg3 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:10 am

I have been trying to find an album by Wheels that was recorded on Boardwalk Records and was produced by Craig, but with no luck.

I've never seen this particular album, but I'll keep my eyes open for one - it's amazing what people get rid of these days...

JP
jpmagg3

Postby rfa77 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:19 am

Some lesser known bands - Heartsfield, Manassas, Toby Beau. I'm going to be doing a compilation sometime in the next couple of months that will probably turn into a 8 - 10 CD set of Country/Southern rock bands from the 70's with most of the bands listed here, and then some. Looking forward to the project.
rfa77

Postby Durwood » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:00 am

I hope that includes the group "Mcguffey Lane". The best band that never made it big. They were from Columbus, Ohio. I'm taking 4 LPs to a professional who is gonna take all the pops and cracks out and put them on CDs for me. It ain't gonna be cheap but you can't get the music anymore and this will preserve it.

Dur
Durwood

Postby Proud1 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Durwood wrote:I hope that includes the group "Mcguffey Lane". The best band that never made it big. They were from Columbus, Ohio. I'm taking 4 LPs to a professional who is gonna take all the pops and cracks out and put them on CDs for me. It ain't gonna be cheap but you can't get the music anymore and this will preserve it.

Dur

Durwood, great group, but did you know that these guys are still on the go. If you go to www.McGuffeylane.com they have five cds for sale including their current one "Wood" an accoustic release from 2003, and also their First album which has been remastered and presented raw, live, and uncut, it's a cracking album. They also have a dvd available, Zachariah's Red Eye Reunion.
Proud1

Postby Durwood » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:50 pm

Proud1 wrote:
Durwood wrote:I hope that includes the group "Mcguffey Lane". The best band that never made it big. They were from Columbus, Ohio. I'm taking 4 LPs to a professional who is gonna take all the pops and cracks out and put them on CDs for me. It ain't gonna be cheap but you can't get the music anymore and this will preserve it.

Dur

Durwood, great group, but did you know that these guys are still on the go. If you go to www.McGuffeylane.com they have five cds for sale including their current one "Wood" an accoustic release from 2003, and also their First album which has been remastered and presented raw, live, and uncut, it's a cracking album. They also have a dvd available, Zachariah's Red Eye Reunion.

Yep, i have ordered the dvd and am aware of all they have out now and that they are still making music. I think i just heard that 3 of the originals are playing together now. I know one was killed in a car wreck around 1983 or 1984 while they were finishing up their last studio album. The lead singer i think quit not long after that and ended up taking his life in 1987. There should be 4 left so i wish they would all get together again. I don't know if the reunion dvd has them together or not, but i will know shortly.

Dur
Durwood

Postby Proud1 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:31 am

Durwood, have'nt got round to ordering it yet' i,d appreciate a review of it and who is playing on it when you get it.

Cheers Roger.
Proud1

Postby Durwood » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:39 pm

Proud1 wrote:Durwood, have'nt got round to ordering it yet' i,d appreciate a review of it and who is playing on it when you get it.

Cheers Roger.

You got it! I also am getting their first 4 albums and am paying somebody to convert them to CDs without all the popping and cracking of the record.

Dur
Durwood

Postby Durwood » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:19 pm

Proud1 wrote:Durwood, have'nt got round to ordering it yet' i,d appreciate a review of it and who is playing on it when you get it.

Cheers Roger.

I have watched the dvd now probably at least 10 times and it truly is great. All four of the original members are on it and as an added bonus the ex lead singer Bob mcnelleys son Rob is playing and singing his daddys parts on it. I can tell you he sounds just like his daddy and his guitar playing is awesome. They do an unbelievable job on my favorite song "Tennessee" which i thought could never be given justice played live.
You will not be disappointed with this at all. This has been the best money spent on music in a long time. After being so surprised on how good it is i ordered the latest cd of theirs titled "Wood" which is all acoustical and it is great too. These guys are still making great music after alll these years.
Both the Cd and the Dvd i give two thumbs up and i am not easily impressed.

Dur
Durwood

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League