R.I.P Johnny Schott ; he booked PPL's first gig

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

R.I.P Johnny Schott ; he booked PPL's first gig

Postby Tom » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Hey Prairiedogs,

Band members and PPL fans from their infancy will be saddened to know Johnny Schott has passed away unexpectedly in his home in Tennessee.

He was known as a gifted musician , singer/songwriter. Schott played with many groups in the Cincinnati area dating back to the ’60s. He started singing with The Radicals and The Black Watch, which led to major label offers, though they never panned out (due in no small part to Schott's lack of interest in touring nonstop and living that lifestyle). In the early ’70s, at the request of bartender Craig Meyer he began a solo gig in Mount Adams that led to him doing some booking in the club New Dilly's, which was also his entry into event promotion.

New Dilly's is well known to many who have visited here and frequented the club. Johnny got a Monday nights gig, filling in for 8 weeks for another musician. It went so well owner Terry Rickerson kept him on Monday and added him on Tuesday night in addition to doing some booking for the club.

"George Ed Powell was playing across the street at the Pavillion and he and I used to switch sets without telling the bar owners we were going to do it. And he told me " I'm putting a band together with a guy named Craig from Columbus. And so I literally booked them for their first date they ever had on a Wednesday night at New Dilly's. Terry Rickerson almost fired me. " You put a country band in my bar ? Are you crazy ? " And I said trust me, trust me. And they just took off there, I mean people loved that band. And so it went on from there and you know the rest of their history of course."

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: R.I.P Johnny Schott ; he booked PPL's first gig

Postby prairiedog » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Johnny was a talented musician and a good friend of our band. He always went out of his way to provide us with opportunities to participate in events in the Cincinnati area e.g. the Fountain Square rededication and many others. He was a true supporter of the Cincinnati music scene and a dedicated fan of our hometown and its place in the annals of musical history. He is fondly remembered and will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and fellow musicians. Rock On, Johnny Schott !

Mike Reilly
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Return to Pure Prairie League