Fuller & Kaz LP

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Fuller & Kaz LP

Postby LJDJShow » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:46 pm

I Went to a Record Store today that is having a 33 year retirement sale and found a Fuller & Kaz LP From 1978 Which Is in pretty good shape.
They also Have Some PPL 8 Tracks Left to.
LJDJShow

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:52 pm

What a great pick up ! I saw them tour in '78 w/ John Call in the lineup--unforgettable stuff. Annabella, Fool For You, etc and one of my favorites of all time, Feel That Way Again. Gotta love Craig's mug on the cover, he looks like one of the Dead End Kids.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby MartinD28 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:46 pm

Would this be one of the American Flyer albums? If so, I've got both that they did. I believe there were only two. If I'm wrong, somebody correct me. Anyway, both the American Flyer albums were oustanding. Unfortunately, I have no working turntable these days. The music on those albums would still be a good listen these days.
MartinD28

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi Martin,

No, the AF LP's are different. Click this link , it gets you to the page with the CD. If it doesn't work, just go there, it's easy to find. Both of those AF LP's are now available on one CD and at a very good price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

The Fuller-Kaz band came out after Flyer. Call toured with them but isn't on the LP. It was Craig and Eric Kaz, who was in AF w/Craig. that's a rare one, no CD as far as i know. People just make one from the LP.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LJDJShow » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:19 pm

That is my plan to record it to CD.The LP don't have no title on it.and no credits on the album anywhere either.
LJDJShow

Fuller Kaz on CD...

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:53 pm

I was fortunate to find this on CD as a Japanese import. Craig signed it for me at Farmingdale. Now, where do I find Mr. Kaz?

Clutch
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Okay, here's some more on that...

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:22 pm

some musicians from that project included on bass-Lee Sklar, percussion-Russ Kunkel, harmony vocals- MICHAEL MCDONALD, Leo Sayer, Rosemary Butler, Maxayn Lewis, Leah Kunkel, and get ready...JOHN DAVID... Souther(well, it was pretty damn close), keyboards-Craig Doerge, electric guitar-Dan Dugmore. And lo and behold, there's that Bob Ringe character once again. You have to give the Japanese credit for being so thoughtful to include not only lyrics in both English AND Japanese, but also the appropriate session credits. They are consistantly faithful and thorough completists when it comes to good music.
Last edited by Dan Williams III on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Fuller Kaz

Postby Proud1 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:01 am

Nice to see this album get a mention, one of my favourite's on vinyl, and have to agree with Tom, "Feel That Way Again" is an all time classic.
Bought it when it first came out and the original release has the lyrics, and the musicians listed for each track on the inner sleeve, with another shot of Eric and Craig on the back, this time graig's reading a paper, (often wondered what it is he is reading.)

Being an englishman i've never had the pleasure of seeing PPL or craig playing live, as they've never toured the UK before. i sincerely hope the new album does really well, and the current line up stays together long enough to consider a tour of the Uk. Now that really would be something to look forward to.

There's an Eric Kaz japanese import cd "1000 Years of Sorrow" available at Amazon.com though its not cheap. he also has two earlier albums listed as unavailable, "If you're Lonely" from 1972 and "Cul De Sac" from 1973.

Cheers Roger, A PPL nut from the Beginning.
Proud1

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:20 am

Hi Proud1,

Love to see England represented here ! Speaking of which, hey Keith, if you read this, hello, hope all is well ! I'll contact you soon.

I think what Craig is reading on the back is a racing form. Back in the mid 80's I asked him about it, as I had been to the track in the afternoon, then saw PPL at night. When Craig heard I was at the races, he perked up and responded " How much ya make ? " I couldn't believe the positive outlook ! What ?? Are you kidding me ? How much did I make ?? My friends and I usually asked " How much did you drop today." Of course I had lost miserably and told him I could have used him, Spike and Conway to help with my selections. Conway and Spike worked at a racetrack in Kentucky together in their pshaw and Conway got into the horses. Steve Cauthen, a big time jockey was some sort of relative of his. I remember reading how Mike Connor was cleaning up on the kid, who was new and red hot. I, of course, living just minutes from where the kid was cleaning up, was getting cleaned out.

In July after a show, Craig mentioned he had just been speaking to Eric only weeks before, so apparently the friendship they built during the Flyer years remained intact. A wonderful LP !

I'm going to put Feel That Way Again on right now--I never get tired of it !! I saw them do this song live and wow--Craig sang this thing just like you'd expect, raw emotion, energy , leading up to that great ending ! That boy can sing , sang, sung.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Proud1 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:01 am

Hi Tom

Thanks for the info, dont bet much on the horses myself, once a year usually on the Grand national, prefer to spend my money on a sure fire certainty, like a new PPL album for instance.

Must have been great to see them playing Feel That Way Again live, did they also do Fool for You, another great song.
Also love You Take a Heart.
Oh you take a heart
and tear it apart
You've chilled these poor bones
with your cold rain
if you love me true
just like i love you
this ember would turn back to flame, great chorus. Eric also wrote some good songs, hope we see some new stuff from him soon.
Proud1

Postby Clarence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:30 am

Does anyone know of a source for the Fuller-Kaz CD? (I had this one too back in the day, but unfortunately, water damage in my basement forced it & about 200 other albums to the dumpster.) Thanks
Kansas City Southern, Man that's a lonesome sound!

Won't you blow, wistle blow...
Clarence

Postby LJDJShow » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:44 am

I think Tom had said it was not on CD ,My plans is to record it to cd as soon as i can get to the cd recorder and get the turntable set up.
LJDJShow

Postby denosb » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:04 pm

Actually the sony copy is oop-i bought 1 on ebay some time back(won't reveal how much)but would gladly burn 1 for anyone for shipping costs only.or you can pay upwards of $100 when an ebayer sells theirs.side note-this is my desert island record as i think the best craig fuller work to date(up until the release of the new cd.)
denosb

Postby LJDJShow » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:32 pm

I Dug the turntable out tonight and setup the rig and recorded it to cd.
Man this is a great selection of songs.Got a few scrathes and pops in the mix.
LJDJShow

Postby MartinD28 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:32 pm

Hey LJDJShow,

Just to let you know - there are several software products out there that are capable of filtering out some of the pops, crackles, etc. I use Polderbits which was quite inexpensive - have had it for years. I'll bet there are free products out there if you search.

Polderbits has several other features (example - EQ) which makes the transfer of albums, tapes, etc. to CD a better end result.
MartinD28

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League