Question re:Red Bank Concert

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Question re:Red Bank Concert

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Hey Tom,

If you know could you tell me why PPL gets the short end of the stick when it comes to these Legends things, in particular the NJ show ? According to the website PPL is only getting 40 minutes. That's ridiculous. I was going to go until I saw that info. But I'm not about to take a trip for that shortened set. They deserve better, given the reviews I've read all over the internet (some of which you have posted), not to mention PPL's reputation. What gives ?

You don't see this info until you go to purchase tickets. Also, they have Craig Fuller and Fats Kaplin listed as band members ! As long as I'm at it, how come links are never posted on the tour page, it would be helpful. Again, any info would be helpful.

Thank you,

Matt
Matt

Re: Question re:Red Bank Concert

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

I have the same concerns, Matt...but I've already committed to that show. No Craig...not thrilled about that...didn't find that out until after purchasing tickets. I wouldn't have gone knowing Craig would be absent. I've rationalized it since I've never seen Firefall and look forward to that. But a forty minute PPL set is just a tease and does not make much sense.
Dan
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Dan,

I was fully aware Craig wouldn't be there since I read it on this site. I have no problem with that, I know this band is very tight, extremely talented and will put on a great show, they always do, and the feedback has been very positive. My point was to the fact that the site doesn't even list the correct band members. Why does this happen ? I would think for PPL fans the fact that the greatest steeler I've ever heard, John David Call, a founding member, would be an important enough fact to get his name mentioned. And again, 40 minutes ???? I have to regretfully pass on that, NY looks good right now.

Matt
Matt

Postby Tom » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:32 am

Hi guys,

You have raised some very good points, I'll add my 2 cents.

To begin, I just wrote a long response then had to delete it ! The reason ?

After I was done I received this email from Numa C. Saisselin, CEO, Count Basie Theatre, Inc.

"They are each scheduled to play 75 minute sets. I stress the word scheduled, since it is a live performance, and thus anything could happen (and often does). "

I wrote to them asking what the deal was, and they just responded. So take heart guys, you will not be shortchanged.

I don't know why the change, why their site has the wrong times alloted,and I've alerted them .

Matt, I too noticed that this venue doesn't list the correct band members.Unfortunately that is common. Again, doesn't that info get provided by management ? Maybe, maybe not. John David Call not being listed is totally unacceptable, given his enormous popularity in the pedal steel world and to PPL fans and country rock fans. How hard is it to get the info to a venue ? I personally feel it's a huge factor that a founding member like John Call is in the lineup and should never be omitted from any venue ad. By the way, the ad for the BB King show in NY has a large picture of the band. Too bad the band in the picture is not PPL ! Surpringly , this has not taken it's toll on attendance: the band still sells out shows, still thrills it's fans. That's a tribute to the legacy of PPL now in it's 42nd year. But hey, come on now, can't we get the right info out ?

I will post the concerts from the Tour page in the Forum in a little while and I will include the links that you requested Matt, I've just finished looking them up. I can't say why they do not get posted.

Dan, I know you miss Craig,I do too, but you'll still see a great show and get to see The Call of The Wild, one of your favorites from Day 1. John, Mike, Rick and Donnie will bring it, they always do.Remember, PPL has put on some of the greatest shows ever in country rock history and recorded several landmark LP's after Craig left. Have fun Dan,don't get morose on me !

Finally, it's most important to note that Mike, John, Rick and Donnie certainly view every show, no matter what time is allotted, as another opportunity to play for us, to bring the legacy and their incredible sound to it's fans once again. 40 minutes or 4 hours, they always have the same enthusiasm, the same upbeat positive attitude. They will approach this night like every other one and they will generate the same enthusiasm from the fans. The music does the talking (expect for Mike maybe ! ).

Dan, Matt, hopefully the NY show at BB Kings will be on your schedule ! Try to get there !!

Until we meet again,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:29 am

Hi guys,

I don't know what the story is with this venue.

As I stated above I heard from Numa C. Saisselin CEO Count Basie Theatre, Inc.
on 07/07 and was told PPL was getting 75 minutes, the same for all bands.

Last night I received this email from the same person:

Tom,

I promised you that if we got it in advance, we would let you know what the running time for this Thursday's Poco / Pure Prairie League / Firefall show.

We got that info this morning, and here it is:

Firefall - 30 minutes
Intermission - 10 minutes
Pure Prairie League - 40 Minutes
Intermission - 20 Minutes
Poco - 90 minutes

Total running time - 3 hours 10 minutes

I don't know if this will encourage you or discourage you from attending, but we're happy we could get you the information you wanted.

I wrote back and asked them what the story was, no response.
So I guess it looks like PPL fans will get a 45 minute show, all the great reviews they've gotten at these things apparently mean nothing because the venue controls the booking. I also believe management has a hand in it. But certainly PPL has consistently gotten outstanding reviews, so time slots obviously aren't based on what been done performance wise but more likely what management wants to push.

By the way, I mentioned on another thread that BB KING's had a picture of a band that wasn't PPL ! I wrote to them, now they have a picture of Luke taken fron the thread in the announcement section. The picture they originally had was of a southern rock cover band that has Phil Stokes in it. I think management should be able to provide the correct info, heck I can do it for free. I think fans would love to know that , for example, founding member John David Call is back. It's important.

Sorry about the previous info re: Count Basie, but again, that is what I got from them.
All the best,
Tom
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League