Website problems

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Website problems

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Gang,

I'm sure most of you have noticed or experienced the recent problems on the site: logging on, the disappearing avatars etc.

Unfortunately the problem is quite extensive, the direct result of spammers. While I'm unaware of any personal PC's infected from the site, apparently various anti spyware prograns flash a message re: site denial or something to that effect.

This problem has been worked on for over a month and is still being checked to see if whatever caused it can be eradicated. The entire site has to be reviewed, not just the Forum , in an attempt to identify any pockets which may contain the virused code. It's not an easy task by any means and at this stage we can't be certain that all the info contained in the site will be saved.

At times the site has been locked while the work was being done. As of now, it looks like the avatars that existed are done, although I can't say at some point we won't be able to upload new ones.

I hate being pessimistic about the whole thing but we may be facing some serious loss of data throughout the site. Every effort is being made to prevent that but it is a reality. Should that occur, there may be a complete overhaul. I personally have already saved every picture that's been posted on the site. In addition, I have many more which I've held back. I'm also copying a huge amount of posts from the Forum which can probably brought back to a new Forum if need be, though not exactly in the same format as they exist now (individual threads etc).

Who knows, this may turn out to be a good thing in the end. Maybe a new structure will be the spark that gets a few new things going, like the scrapbook and videos I posses which I am quite anxious to get on here.

I'll give you updates as I get them. I'm sorry it took this long to get you guys the update, but before posting anything I felt it was better to find out just how extensive the problem was and provide an accurate outlook.

All the best,
Tom
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby hiro » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Tom,

About forum, as I advised before, this phpBB forum system is still ver.2. Newest is ver.3.08 now and and they already ended supporting ver.2.x. I strongly recommend upgrading ver.2 to 3. Ver.2.x is outdated and has many security risks.

I'm not a programmer and don't have web skills, but have learned so much during running my website. Feel free to talk to me if I can.

Another solution, switching to php-nuke package (web portal system). It's integrate website and forum. Original php-nuke was stopped developing so I recommend one of the php-nuke forks, RavenNuke.You don't lose existing registered members.

There're many portal systems, Joomla is also popular.

Though my site is still php-nuke not RavenNuke for many reasons, check how it works.
Freebird Radio is servin' you the Best Classic Rock, 24 hours a day!
hiro

Postby Tom » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Hello Hiro,

Nice to hear from you and thank you for the info. I know you have stated this before, it's nice that you show such an interest. I have no control over it. I have passed along this info , and many more simple suggestions several times previously over the years, including the first time you posted about it.The admin section of the forum has had a message in it regarding updating the software for ages. Nothing I can do about it, those that need to know have been made aware of it by me many times, in fact even before you first mentioned it. At present I'm looking into the possibility of bringing some PPL memorabilia and things to the internet, if I do I'll let you know. Again, thanks for the interest in the site and supporting PPL !

All the best,
Tom
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby hiro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:59 am

Many years before, my site was totally cracked due to the phpBB2's security hole. All html, jpgs, php files were deleted and top page was changed. So I recommend converting 2 to 3.

Converting ver.2 to 3 is simple. Try install ver.3 to another folder then you don't lose ver.2 forum. Make sure to backup all forum data before converting. This instructions will help you.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/upgradeguide/upgrade.php

About php-nuke forks, if forum is still ver.2, it can be integrated. There's no method (except phpBB3ToNuke) to integrate ver.3 with nuke. phpBB3ToNuke is stopped developing and downloading.

As I recommended before, RavenNuke one of the php-nuke forks is still developing. And RavenNuke has powerful security features. Try install and enjoy it if you like.
http://www.ravenphpscripts.com/
Freebird Radio is servin' you the Best Classic Rock, 24 hours a day!
hiro

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Hello Hiro,

Once again, thank you for taking the time and showing such a devoted interest in resolving the problems the site has experienced. All I can say is that hopefully it will spur some action and maybe get it to a point where it's no longer an issue. As I stated before, I passed on the info re: an updated version several times previously and with good reason: for several years I spent many hours each week deleting all the spambots that signed up. I do this for fun but it reached a point where I could no longer devote the amount of time needed to clear it out weekly. Maybe if it was updated and some of the things you mentioned long ago were tried, the whole issue of the viruses that plagued the entire site could have been avoided but we'll never know. Hopefully your suggestions will be given a chance and maybe help things out. In the meantime, the Forum is only one part of the site, and I'm still pursuing the possibilty of bringing some PPL stuff to the internet that you and PPL fans may find entertaining.

Stay in touch Hiro, it's always good to hear from you !

All the best,Tom
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League