THE CALL OF THE WILD: JOHN DAVID IS BACK !!

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

THE CALL OF THE WILD: JOHN DAVID IS BACK !!

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:47 pm

Hey prairiedogs,

I mentioned under another thread that "The Call of The Wild", Mr. John David Call is back in action with PPL this year !

THE CALL OF THE WILD

This deserves a special mention, which I've already waited too long on.

John is far more than just an original member of the band. It's probably fair to say that John as much as anyone who performed under the enormous legacy of the PPL banner is responsible for it's success.His pedal steel and general musical knowledge shaped the sound of PPL for decades to come. What John and the guys started in the late 60's is why we are here today, over 40 years later, still listening to them, still heading out to a show, still asking for more.

Every major magazine and newspapers from all over the country hailed John's up front, mesmerizing pedal steel licks. I know, I have many of the articles.He was a true pioneer, someone who avoided the cliches that the steelers in the country music world tended to favor. In fact, his brash approach at times maybe even annoyed a few, more than likely because he was doing something they either couldn't or hadn't thought about.

In the mid 70's I attended a few pedal steel conventions in my neighborhood. Ok, I'll admit it's because they were held in a K of C Hall where I was a member and the beer was ridiculously cheap. I'm talking put down a 5, leave with a 10 and not know where you had been. No regrets there.

Anyway, there were steelers from all over the country.Those days were when I truly realized what an enormous influence John had on so many people. I had read and heard comments form great musicians who hailed him, people like Billy Joel, Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Parton, Jimmy Buffet, Chuck Mangione, Neil Young, Buddy Cage,Buddy Emmons, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Marshall Tucker Band, Lowell George and the rest of Feat, the list is endless.

But those steelers really brought the point home. The guy who ran the whole thing told me " Every where we go, all over the country, there's a whole new group of pedal steel players who rave about him. There's no question he's brought about a whole new interest in the instrument, maybe more so than anyone in recent memory.And everyone of them all want to know how to do that darn train whistle."

Today, over 40 years since John upped the ante in the PPL debut LP, the influence is still just as huge,steelers all over the country still citing his work, still listing him as the guy who started them off, still playing the licks that John cemented in their memories.

Here's some comments i took from the Steel Guitar Forum. These comments not only came from all over the country but England, Sweden and maybe a few others. Stop for a second and realize that John stopped playing with PPL in 1977. Then check out what these talented steelers have to say all these years later. When you reflect on it, you'll realize why John David Call is one of the all time greats, why what he did and continues to do with PPL will always be there for many generations to come.And why Pedal Steelers 40 years from know will still be asking " How did he do that darn whistle? "

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
Floral Park, NY

IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/MrPrairiedog/steel1.jpg[/IMG]
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jpmagg3 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks for those well-deserved kudos, Tom...saw a couple of my own posts in there :D
jpmagg3

Postby Dan Williams III » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:44 pm

John Call is the best pedal steel player that I have ever heard...the man has SOUL! Hey, Tom...I noticed that you included my snap shot of John from Waterloo Village, NJ 1976. Here is the original...

Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:52 pm

Hey John,

Hope all is well. I know you had some very nice things to say about John, I recognized your name immediately on the site and got a big kick out of it. Another steeler from this site down in Texas , Doc Hall, also had some wonderful remarks !

Dan,

Thanks for the photos. I took the ones you put up a few years ago and saved them in my scrapbook which I still intend to get on here come hell or highwater. I spoke w/Mike about it recently. I couldn't agree more re: John being the best. From his very first licks on the unbelievable debut , I was hooked on his steel and PPL. He raised the bar and when he came on the scene, and there wasn't a single PPL release where critics didn't hold him in the highest regard, just as fans and steelers still do 41 years later.When you look at the steeler's remarks, they touch on every single LP he played on which tells you something about his appeal and influence.

John's steel makes me listen like I never usually do. Case in point : I'm not and never was a big blues guy. But on Out On the Street from If The Shoe Fits, John's steel is so cool, I never tire of the tune. His intro's , melodies, the ability to take a song from start to finish, weave in and out of a tune then explode into a terrific solo sets him apart. It's uncanny how you could listen to a Conway piano piece then suddenly realize that the steel somehow was effortlessly blending in, remarkable vision and his incredibly clarity on high end notes are beathtaking.Inventive and pioneering don't even scrath the surface when you try to describe him, he's one of a kind.

See you guys soon I hope,

Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi,

John Call was and always will be the best, no doubt about that. I hope I get to see PPL, especially with John.

Great , great job with the Call Of The Wild , the collage and comments, superior stuff, it makes this site special.

Matt
Matt

John Call playing lead guitar

Postby Jay91954 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:03 am

John played steel for a country show in Frankfort and Bainbridge from 1970-72. Many times he had to do lead guitar. Had fantastic licks on the lead also. Like to see John to play a lead again!
Jay91954

Return to Pure Prairie League