WOMAN - Adam Taylor cover song

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

WOMAN - Adam Taylor cover song

Postby Jason Smith » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:15 am

Guys

I've come across some new info which would have been nice to include in my latest fanzine if I'd had it before publication - either way I can share it with you now.

As we all know PPL's debut included a cover of an Adam Taylor song WOMAN. Before I started my research I'd always assumed that Jim Lanham had bought the song to the PPL camp as he had been a former member of COUNTRY FUNK whose lead songwriter and vocalist was Adam Taylor.

For those that have read my latest fanzine Jim Caughlan confirmed to me that WOMAN was in their repetoire long before PPL was even formed in a band called the PROOF with Craig Fuller, Jim Caughlan, Lynn Poyer & Ken May which was back in 1968.

I'm presently in contact with two original members of COUNTRY FUNK, Hal Paris and Joe Pfeifer and asked them about Craig and WOMAN. Here's what Hal had to say:

"We met Craig Fuller in New Orleans, somehow. I think he saw us play and liked what he heard. He might be able to be more precise than me about the first meeting. Anyway, he almost joined the band......we did want him, but.....So he and Adam became friendly and Craig heard Adam, and our band play "Woman". We also met up with Craig a few times in Boston as well. It was an easy respectful relationship. Man, you should have heard us sing 5 part harmony when he practiced with us a few times."

Anyway, I thought this may be of interest. As and when I find out any new info I'll post it hear.

My next issue wil feature a full length article on COUNTRY FUNK for those that are interested.

Cheers

Jason Smith
helen.jason@btinternet.com
www.myspace.com/fantasticexpedition
Jason Smith

Postby Jason Smith » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Joe Pfeifer, COUNTRY FUNK's original drummer has just confirmed to me that he's found a recording of WOMAN in his basement. Although written by ADAM TAYLOR this song was never released by the band.

The recording Joe has found is actually by ADAM which was Adam and Joe's former band and dates from 1967/68.

He's going to send me a copy and when he does I'll let you know how it sound compared to the PPL version we know and love so well.

Cheers

Jason
helen.jason@btinternet.com
www.myspace.com/fantasticexpedition
Jason Smith

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Here's a video of Woman from a show back in Jan this year. I think it may have been Seattle.Ironically it's one of the shows Craig Fuller didn't do. Rick Schell does a great job on lead vocals, the guys sound great, not a bad reecording, great to hear it live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGtuov38O08
Hey Sara, why so bashful ???? Why not let us know it was posted !!!!

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Jason Smith » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:09 am

Hi,

My new website www.fantasticexpedition.com now features an audio music section. The guys from Country Funk which featured PPL's own Jim Lanham have allowed me to feature a number of their original songs for your enjoyment.

Also I've added Pure Prairie League's single version of WOMAN which as I reported in my fanzine is a different mix than the album version. Please let me know if I've overstepped the mark here and if so I'll delete it immediately. As it's so rare I thought the PPL fans would love to hear it.

I'm hoping to get consent to also feature Adam Taylor's original version of WOMAN which dates from 1967 and if so this should be available for your listening pleasure soon.

Cheers

Jason
www.fantasticexpedition.com
Jason Smith

Return to Pure Prairie League