Fantastic Expedition Fanzine - Pure Prairie League Special

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Fantastic Expedition Fanzine - Pure Prairie League Special

Postby Jason Smith » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:52 pm

Hi, my name is Jason Smith and I'm the editor of a UK based music magazine called Fantastic Expedition. Issue 2 is now available and the whole issue is dedicated to the early years of the Pure Prairie League.

During my research I tracked down drummer Jim Caughlan who has assisted me no end with PPL's early history including all the bands the members were involved in in Waverley like the Omars, The Swiss Navy, Davy & The Cobras, etc.

I also got hold of Ken May who was a member of The Proof with Jim And Craig and later a member of J D Blackfoot with Craig. He's told me lots of info about this period including the fact that Craig sings two lead vocals on J D Blackfoot's debut The Ultimate Prophecy.

To add the fun Cliff Stepp (aka T P Waterhouse) who wrote Country Song and giged with George Powell before he joined PPL has told me some great early stories.

All in all its 52 pages worth of Pure Prairie League covering their early days, their debut and their first tour.

Cheers

Jason Smith
Editor/Publisher - FANTASTIC EXPEDITION FANZINE

email: helen.jason@btinternet.com
Jason Smith

Postby jpmagg3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 am

Jason,

Thanks for posting this - looks like an issue that without question would be of interest to just about everyone on this site...can you provide a link or some other means of purchasing a copy or two or ten? A quick look online only found some of the previous issues as ebay listings.

looking forward to seeing this....

John
jpmagg3

Fantastic Expedition - Pure Prairie League Special

Postby Jason Smith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:51 am

John

Hi, thanks for your mail. I didn't advertise the purchase details originally as I didn't want to presume I could blatently try and sell my fanzine on your site without some form of agreement first. However, Mike Reilly has now contacted me asking the same question so I think it's ok now.

Issues can be obtained by PAYPAL payable to helen.jason@btinternet.com at the following rates per issue:

UK: £4.00
Europe: £4.50
US and rest of world: £5.00

All prices inlcude 1st class/airmail postage

More info is on my myspace page: www.myspace.com/fantasticexpedition

Unfortunatley the postal costs from the UK to the US are expensive (£1.68 for one issue)hence the high cover price. However, I'm in the process of speaking to a US distributor and if this goes ahead I can send him bulk thus reducing the cover charge.

If anyone is interested in a buying more than one copy please let me know as I'll check the postage for multiple issues as I'm sure it will work out less.

Any further queries please contact me at helen.jason@btinternet.com

Thanks

Jason Smith

PS: I'm a huge fan of the Pure Prairie League and it's been a real honour communicating with Jim Caughlan whilst researching this article. Cliff Stepp (aka T P Waterhouse) has been kind to already comment that:

"It's the most complete story on PPL I've ever seen."
Jason Smith

Fantastic Expedition - Pure Prairie League Special

Postby Jason Smith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 am

John

Hi, thanks for your mail. I didn't advertise the purchase details originally as I didn't want to presume I could blatently try and sell my fanzine on your site without some form of agreement first. However, Mike Reilly has now contacted me asking the same question so I think it's ok now.

Issues can be obtained by PAYPAL payable to helen.jason@btinternet.com at the following rates per issue:

UK: £4.00
Europe: £4.50
US and rest of world: £5.00

All prices inlcude 1st class/airmail postage

More info is on my myspace page: www.myspace.com/fantasticexpedition

Unfortunatley the postal costs from the UK to the US are expensive (£1.68 for one issue)hence the high cover price. However, I'm in the process of speaking to a US distributor and if this goes ahead I can send him bulk thus reducing the cover charge.

If anyone is interested in a buying more than one copy please let me know as I'll check the postage for multiple issues as I'm sure it will work out less.

Any further queries please contact me at helen.jason@btinternet.com

Thanks

Jason Smith

PS: I'm a huge fan of the Pure Prairie League and it's been a real honour communicating with Jim Caughlan whilst researching this article. Cliff Stepp (aka T P Waterhouse) has been kind to already comment that:

"It's the most complete story on PPL I've ever seen."
Jason Smith

Return to Pure Prairie League