What brand guitar

Post the chords and lyrics to your favorite PPL songs.

What brand guitar

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:58 pm

Do any of you know exactly what brand and model of acoustic guitar the Aimie solo was recorded on? That is the best sound I have ever heard out of a guitar

I dunno, but...

Postby Jaybuzz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:07 pm

I have no idea about the Amie recording, but I know Craig is playing a Santa Cruz acoustic now. I asked him at Wildwood last year. I thought it was a Martin because of the shape of the headstock, but it had no visible markings on it. It sounded fantastic.

Curtis has a beautiful guitar, much more decorated-it think it was an Alvarez, but wouldn't swear to it. I talked to him as he wiped it down and put it in its case. Interesting that I think Craig left his on stage in a stand after the show. I think it was out all night.

Jay in B'ham
Jaybuzz

Guitar

Postby prairie mama » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:02 pm

It was a 1963 Martin D-21. It was stolen a few years after the song was recorded, and Craig is still looking to replace it.
prairie mama

Re: Guitar

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:35 am

prairie mama wrote:It was a 1963 Martin D-21. It was stolen a few years after the song was recorded, and Craig is still looking to replace it.

I know I have tried playing it on my Ovation, my Yamaha and even a vintage 1956 Fender Kingsman, I picked up in Waverly back in 1975, but the sound is unique.

What is awesome is the fact that the sounds on AIGT is so reminiscient of what they produced back in 1972. That is a true testament to how great PPL and BO sounded.

Thank you PPL you have made growing up a true prairie dog such fun!

I hate to keep beating the dead horse but Chillicothe rocked and I am jonesing for the rest!

8)

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby LIDog » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:34 am

Right on, Mike, on every account. And Craig's voice sounds terrific. I think that this is some of the best singing he's ever done and it's a triumph for anyone who's over 50 or worried about getting there. Maturity goes a long way in music.

That someone stole his guitar is really the pits. Very low. I hope he finds one. Of course, it also bears mentioning that even with a '63 Martin, no one else is ever really going to sound quite like Craig. It's part of the magic of music that so many people can play the same instruments in pretty much the same way and yet each can bring something special to the table that is uniquely them. And I guess that about sums up PPL too, doesn't it?
LIDog

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:44 am

LIDog wrote:Right on, Mike, on every account. And Craig's voice sounds terrific. I think that this is some of the best singing he's ever done and it's a triumph for anyone who's over 50 or worried about getting there. Maturity goes a long way in music.

That someone stole his guitar is really the pits. Very low. I hope he finds one. Of course, it also bears mentioning that even with a '63 Martin, no one else is ever really going to sound quite like Craig. It's part of the magic of music that so many people can play the same instruments in pretty much the same way and yet each can bring something special to the table that is uniquely them. And I guess that about sums up PPL too, doesn't it?

Dog:

You are so right and that is the other reason we go see them live when we can to have another opportunity to hear the masters as they apply their craft in person.

To those who couldn't make Chillicothe I can't say how special it was to have so many of the old gang back together again.

I really look forward to hearing George Ed's latest work as soon as he has it released, it was awesome seeing him and JD as well.

I also think one of the reasons PPL has stayed so popular has to do with the fact that as they changed over the years they never seemed to lose that part which made PPL, be PPL back in 1972. This also explains why Curtis and Fats and Rick, are just as enjoyable to watch and listen to as the original bunch.

Just my humble opinion though!
Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Curtis's Acoustic Guitar

Postby Blairsboy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:52 pm

It's a 1989 Larrivee "D" model. Made in Vancouver, BC (Handmade by virgin slave girls - fed nothing but Swiss chocolate, imported from Raliegh, NC) 1 of 2 (the other is a 1991). Identical except for figure on headstock. L.R.Baggs LB6 undersaddle pickup in both.

Elixir Strings (light guage Phosphorus Bronze), of course!!

Capo is a Paige.
Blairsboy

Curtis Guitar

Postby LJDJShow » Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm

That is a heck of a sound on those guitars of Curtis's .
I wonder where they got the chocolate in Raleigh,NC.I gotta find that so those gals can make me one to sound like that.
LJDJShow

what brand guitar

Postby prairiedog » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:54 pm

Regarding the guitar question;
I thought the acoustic guitar on "AMIE" from the "Mementos" cd sounded pretty close to the original. As the old saying goes - "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian". I seem to remember several people in the 60's and 70's playing the same year Stratocaster, and even though the guitars were similar, the sounds that came out of them were truly unique.
Rock on!
pdog
prairiedog

Re: what brand guitar

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 am

prairiedog wrote:Regarding the guitar question;
I thought the acoustic guitar on "AMIE" from the "Mementos" cd sounded pretty close to the original. As the old saying goes - "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian". I seem to remember several people in the 60's and 70's playing the same year Stratocaster, and even though the guitars were similar, the sounds that came out of them were truly unique.
Rock on!
pdog

Brother Mike:

Truer words were never spoken, however because of that difference music is all the better with all the variety.

Stevie Ray and Jimi and Robin Trower all did it but each had their own unique way of bringing forth the finished product.

Speaking of guitars has anyone tried one of the Heritage guitars made buy the kids that remained behind in Kalamazoo after the Gibson folks skedaddled out of town?

I am seriously considering purchasing one of their H535 models that is a copy of the Gibson 335. For some reason I reallly want a semi-hollow body to add to the collection for some of its unique sound and this is the one I am leaning towards.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 pm

Are you guys kidding me ??

1963 Martin D-21...vintage 1956 Fender Kingsman...1989 Larrivee "D" model...L.R.Baggs LB6 undersaddle pickup ...Stratocaster...arrows, Indians....

You call yourselves professionals ??

There is not one Esteban in the whole bunch !

For a lousy 100 bucks or so you can get The Legend, I'm talking the black one ! Not to mention the video, chord book and for another 20 bucks a black hat ! If you order now he'll throw in the slave girls too !

C'mon guys, wise up.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:11 am

-----ffff- --fwf-- < >
-----------------o|.......|o
------------------ \-----/
e------------------||||||
e------------------||||||
-e-----------------||||||
--e----------------||||||
---e---------------||||||
----e--------------||||||
-----e-------------||||||
------e------------||||||
-------e-----------||||||
--------e----------||||||
---------e---------||||||
----------e--------||||||
-----------e-------||||||
------------e------||||||
-------------e-----||||||
--------------e----||||||
---------e---------||||||
------e------------||||||
-------e-----------||||||
------ui wu----- *||||||*
-----------------*-0000-*
----------------*-- 000-- *
--------------*---- 000---- *
-------------*-----0000-----*
-----------*------ (-----)------*
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:50 pm

That doesn't look the the Esteban. Not the black one anyway.

Vice Admiral,

Well I can see the fever didn't break yet. That's ok , neither has mine.

" we got Pure Prairie League fever,
hotter than a pepper sprout
we've been running with a fever
ever since the League came out
"

Mike thanks for the heads up on that Wheels LP !

Take care,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:37 am

Tom wrote:That doesn't look the the Esteban. Not the black one anyway.
Vice Admiral,
Well I can see the fever didn't break yet. That's ok , neither has mine.
" we got Pure Prairie League fever,
hotter than a pepper sprout
we've been running with a fever
ever since the League came out
"
Mike thanks for the heads up on that Wheels LP !
Take care,
Tom

Tom:

Glad you found it. Mark said that all proceed go to the Michael Bany Scholarship Fund.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby LIDog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:56 am

...and I understand that Esteban has saved a lot of money on his car insurance by switching to...

There are some who think I'm quite mad for believing this, in fact, there are those who think I'm quite mad for a number of reasons... but anyway,

I believe that there is no such person as Esteban, and it's all a conspiracy toward world domination. It will start off slow. First, Craig and Curtis will be playing Estebans (with Elixir light guage Phosphorus Bronze strings, of course!) Then, Mike will be playing an Esteban bass, then Rick will have the Esteban drums... The next thing you know, Esteban corn flakes!!!

IMPOSSIBLE YOU SAY???????????

P.S. Tom, you've asked about my accompanying video to teach people how to follow the charts, and that will be ready to go, once I've worked out all the details with Esteban.

Nice job on the guitar Mike, it came out really cool.
LIDog

Next

Return to Musician's Corner