Stephen Talkhouse- Amagansett, LI 7/19

Post all Pure Prairie League concert reviews here.

Stephen Talkhouse- Amagansett, LI 7/19

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey fans,

Here's a couple of reviews from a hot sold out show on Long Island taken from a Hampton's website.
Have a good one,
Tom Sheridan

"PPL rocked a jam packed Talkhouse. What an upbeat flawless performance by a band whose talent is limitless. The lead guitarist Don Clark, was outrageously good and can sing with the best of them. His strong vocals and guitar work are a must for any music fan, he’s a show in itself. Pedal steel player John Call is ridiculously great and his remarkable performance is a major highlight for anyone who wants to listen to the best pedal steel around. To say he kills it doesn’t justify what this guy still does better than anyone. Mike Reilly leads the Prairie pack and he too has some great lead vocals on KC Southern. Flat Tire Merle , and a few others. He still pounds a mean bass line and his charisma is a huge side benefit to a PPL show. Newbie Scott Thomson is a powerhouse drummer which fits the band perfectly, not to mention still another member with a strong lead voice on a few songs. Every song was a highlight with the country rocker Misery Train blistering the crowd as Call and Clark went wild trading licks, blending their frantic leads to perfection. Amie, Two Lane Highway of course drew major applause, but these guys had the crowd howling on every note. No one wanted this to end, but of course it had to. The band was super friendly after the show and was also seen mingling with the crowd before it. I highly recommend this group , do not miss them if you have the chance to see them. While I’m at it, let’s hope these guys get in the studio soon !"
Pete Hawkins

"Super , super, super !!
Over the past year I’ve seen PPL twice in addition to numerous shows all over LI, NYC, NJ, and CT. Nothing tops what these guys do.These guys are in constant harmony both vocally and musically , note for note. You will not find a tighter, more versatile band than PPL. Phenomenal guitars and pedal steel !! Three lead singers with voices that could lead any band. Inspiring and energizing, PPL can still pull people out of their seats like it was the 70′s . Tops in country rock way back when, still on the top of the heap today. It;s nice to see an act from the past that doesn’t mail it in, one that obviously has a work ethic that pays off big time. Great setlist ! Rock and Roll with Pure Prairie !"
Rose Amato
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Stephen Talkhouse- Amagansett, LI 7/19

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Here's still another review from the Long Island show.
Tom

PPL ROCKS LONG ISLAND
Stephen's Talkhouse - Amagansett NY @ - 07/19/2012
Favorite moment: Entire show !!
Setlist: No list but the band did a great job covering all their years and touched on many classics
by MrHowdy

It was an incredible performance by some extremely gifted musicians. Each band member has extraordinary talents which blended together perfectly to give a show I won't forget. This is no run of the mill 70's act like most I've seen. This band blew the crowd away with an enthusaism and professionalism that is sadly lacking in some acts today. Fabulous lead guitarist and singer Donnie Clark put on a show ! His lead vocals are as outstanding as his guitar . Combine that with John Call who is still the greatest pedal steel player you will ever hear, and you get something rare, something incredibly captivating. AWESOME stuff ! Mike Reilly plays a great bass and keeps the crowd full of laughs with some very quick witted lines and is quite enjoyable to witness. Drummer Scott Thompson is yet another major talent (this band is LOADED with it) who rounds out this unit perfectly. Reilly and Thompson also share in the lead vocals and like Clark, do a terrific job. The harmonies are spot on, just amazing the way their voices blend. They played a diverse, driving set that touched on a variety of styles which resulted in numerous ovations all night, many of them spontaneous in the middle of a song. I was so knocked out by these guys I purchased tickets for their Sunday show at BB Kings . I'm glad I did !
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Concert Reviews