SPACE Evanston review: " ...a League above the rest"

Post all Pure Prairie League concert reviews here.

SPACE Evanston review: " ...a League above the rest"

Postby Tom » Sun May 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Hello prairie dogs,

Here's another nice review for the guys from a recent show at SPACE in Evanston. The guys sold it out last year when it opened and did so once again. It's another venue that booked them immediately after the show last year. Things continue to go extremely well with the band who continue to shake things up and keep adding more dates to the tour.

The review is from an Entertainment Magazine called Rock Chicago.

Pure Prairie League may not have all the members they used to have, but they more than filled the hall with good country rock Thursday night at SPACE in Evanston. With barely a bad seat in the place, Pure Prairie League took the stage bringing back songs from back as far as 1972.

Introduced as legendary country rockers, Pure Prairie League did not disappoint. Starting out in Ohio, the early members were John David Call, steel guitar, joined Pure Prairie League in 1970, and Michael Reilly, bass and vocals joined in 1972. Joining later Rick Schell on drums/vocals and Donnie Lee Clark guitar/vocals finished off the foursome.

An underrated band to me, Pure Prairie League had several hits making the charts with Aimie to #27, Let Me Love You Tonight with #10 and Still Right Here in My Heart making it to #28. A band with huge talent, a great history with several songs all still played on a regular basis on major radio stations Pure Prairie League has stood the test of time. It appeared the band made no mistakes all night while playing all these songs and the crowd loved it.

A couple of hits right off the start, Kansas City Southern and Getting Over You, started it out. It’s not love but it’s not bad and I’ll fix your flat tire Merle, Let me Love You Tonight were a few more great hits. I’ll be Damned (if I Let You Play My Heart), Donnie Lee Clark ended the song with an imaginative guitar solo leaving the crowd smiling, yelling and whistling in excitement.

Obviously the highlight of the show was when they played Aimie. The crowd joined in after the lead in song Falling In And Out of Love started with Donnie on acoustic guitar. The Encore followed after and Michael Reilly dedicated the song I Sure Do Miss You Now to a friend and former piano player Mike Conner.

Pure Prairie League is definitely in a League above the rest and I truly enjoyed the show and would jump at the chance to see them again.

Reviewed by Lee Bishop
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Concert Reviews