BB KINGS: REVIEW AND NOTES FROM KILLER SHOW IN NYC

Post all Pure Prairie League concert reviews here.

BB KINGS: REVIEW AND NOTES FROM KILLER SHOW IN NYC

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Hey gang,

I didn't get a chance to do this until now, here's a rundown on the concert and some side notes on the evening.

Take care,
Tom Sheridan
Floral Park, NY

Saturday night at BB Kings PPL came out blazing and never let up. They pumped out a 20 song set which featured tunes from their classic self titled debut release right through the 2005 release All In Good Time. There was no shortage of energy from the band , clearly taking advantage of a venue which allowed them enough time for each member to showcase their enormous talent and touch on many of the tunes which critics have praised as the greatest country rock ever recorded. PPL rose to the top of the country rock world in the 70’s and Saturday night an extremely appreciative crowd let the band know the they are still on top.

There wasn’t one single song which didn’t resonate with the audience, a true testimony to the legacy of a band that has produced music that has held several generations captive. Mike Reilly , John David Call, Donnie Lee Clark and Rick Schell put on a show that was as good as anything done in the 70’s or 80’s and they did it with an energy that belied their years. If you know these guys it’s no surprise. They have a work ethic that the kids in today’s music scene can’t fathom and it doesn’t even include a stint in rehab.

Eight of PPL’s studio releases were represented at the show, giving fans a true representation of PPL’s storied history, and each tune was treated the same way it was when they were released: a genuine enthusiasm from a hyped up crowd who were all well familiar with them. Obviously the prairie dogs at this concert came with high expectations and the band exceeded them. Even more obvious was the fact that these fans were veterans of shows from other legendary NYC venues like The Beacon Theatre and The Bottom Line, to name a few, back when PPL became the top country rock act in the nation with a string of critically acclaimed LP’s.

One of the most difficult tasks this band has is coming up with a set list which will not only please their fans , but one which will also allow each member to stretch their talent as well as explore their visions of how PPL circa 2011 should be presented. The most basic premise is realized: fans prefer to hear songs the way they were recorded, yet desire a spontaneity in the show. PPL delivers in grand style. The signature sound of PPL not only remains intact it continues to expand.

That signature sound , a scorching lead guitar combined with flamboyant and inventive pedal steel guitar licks was never more evident than at the BB King’s. Reminiscent of the glory years leading up to Live ! Takin’ The Stage, ( critically acclaimed as one of the greatest live releases ever made) , this show was the essence of PPL and on a broader scale, the essence of the country rock genre.

The diversity of PPL’s members and music was evident throughout the entire set. When PPL rose to national prominence, they did it with several lead vocalists and songwriters, no one voice dominating their sound. Today’s PPL has taken a page from that glorious chapter in PPL history. Mike Reilly, Donnie Lee Clark and Rick Schell all have superb lead voices, each one distinctive and capable of putting over any style the band chooses to present. It’s this flexibility that allowed PPL to reach the top way back when and now pushes them forward into their sixth decade.

Mike Reilly is still the man who generates the enthusiasm which circulates freely throughout a PPL show. No one has more frequent flyer miles than Mike, who joined PPL in 1972 and has been at the helm ever since. This night was extra special: when PPL last played her in 2006, Mike was recovering from a serious illness, one of those rare nights that he missed a show. He’s since recovered and on this night we were all reminded of exactly how much this man means to the band. If you have ever seen a PPL concert chances are extremely great you have seen Mike Reilly. Saturday night, once again Mike was the face of PPL and that face was beaming, shedding a light on the crowd from the opening note right through the two encores. On bass guitar, lead vocals or harmonies his presence will always guarantee one thing: PPL is still here, never really left and will perform up to the standards band members and fans demand. He delivers all that can be asked of him and more. KC Southern , Flat Tire Merle, Pickin’ To Beat the Devil, Kentucky Moonshine and It’s Not Love emitted the same response from fans as they did almost 40 years ago: it’s PPL gold. His vocals still resonate that pure country sound yet still put across harder edged rock. Of course, a show would not be complete without a few quips or a story or two from his vast personal vault of memories. While Mike keeps the crowd involved, he’s also smart enough to let the music do the talking and keeps the show moving, his professionalism and experience a reason PPL still flourishes. At a PPL show, he’s still the kid in the candy store, feeding off the audience who is all to willing to give it all back. Another great show from the PPL legend.

John David Call. Those three words say as much about the band as anything ever written in the 42 year existence of PPL. Those three words are the core of Pure Prairie League’s sound and that sound today is better than ever, something I didn’t think possible. He’s already acknowledged as one of the greatest and most influential pedal steelers ever, and since his return to the lineup on a full time basis in 2010 he has elevated the stature of today’s PPL to a place only John David Call can take it, a place we’ve all been to many times before, the top of the mountain. He carries us up there with each lick on his steel, then let’s us see and hear the beautiful vision that is clearly his, a vision that grows daily, one that inspires and generates an aura that is capable of turning the most dismal day into a panoramic view of a beauty we can’t fully realize yet somehow understand completely. When the climb is over, he gently deposits us back where we started, telling us we’ll all be around to climb the mountain one more time and promises us that the next trip will be even more exhilarating. And we don’t doubt him, not for a second. John David Call. Three words which continue to captivate , enlighten, inspire and motivate you more than any self help guide. JD, the greatest.

Rick Schell, the guy behind a wall of drums, is as big a force that PPL has ever known, and in so many different ways. The words energetic and sparkplug have often been used to describe Rick, but they barely scratch the surface of what this guy has meant to the resurgence of PPL. A gifted drummer and vocalist, his presence in the lineup since 1998 has evolved to the point where it’s fair to say he’s as big a reason as any why PPL still tours today. A major force on the Nashville scene, Rick’s been influential in the recruitment of past and present band members , the songs chosen to perform and the direction the band takes. During Mike’s absence, Rick was the glue that held it all together, the man who kept pushing forward, a guy who doesn’t take no for an answer. Steeped in PPL history, Rick has had a huge hand in developing a set list that will touch all bases. With two highly acclaimed solo projects under his belt, his extraordinary vocals are a well know fact to country rock fans. His vocals on Angel#9, Two Lane Highway, Woman ,That Changes Everything, Getting’ Over You were superb and yet another indication of his desire to keep the band fresh by injecting new tunes on a regular basis. The guys have a large collection of tunes ready to go on any given night and Rick is a major factor in that. A workaholic, Rick is an enormous talent and probably doesn’t get enough credit for the success of PPL. Now he does, the secret is out. Another great show from Rick. Maybe energetic sparkplug is the best description of him after all.

Donnie Lee Clark has been on the receiving end of some rave reviews the past six years and he’s earned every one of them. When one thinks of PPL, it conjures up fond memories of some incredible guitarists, names which are still ingrained in the hearts and minds of PPL and country rock fans: Fuller , The Goshorns, Gill, Powell to name just a few. Donnie has earned his place among them and after another gripping performance Friday night, it’s now more than obvious he’s as good as any of them and I don’t say that lightly having seen them all live many times. They all possess unique styles, they all brought something very special to the concerts, and so does Donnie. One newspaper review of a recent concert featuring several groups called him “the rock and roll guitar God of the night, a monster player.” Donnie’s interplay with John David ignites the crowd, and the two have honed their act to perfection. As stated before, this was the style that took PPL to national prominence and the Call-Clark tandem is as powerful as any duo that ever jumped into the country rock waters. As the band progresses, so does Donnie, now with enough elbow room to truly showcase his talent. A powerful lead vocalist, he’s been expanding the set list with songs from all sides of PPL : Harvest, Amie, Early Morning Riser, Still Right Here In My Heart, Tears, Here Today, Gone Tomorrow, Let Me Love You Tonight, Misery Train, I’ll Be Damned drew huge responses from the audience. Donnie’s vocals and guitar work, now firmly entrenched in the PPL legacy, are a big factor in the band’s decision to continue touring. He’s quickly become a crowd favorite, and Saturday night was just one more in a string of concerts that left fans shaking their heads in amazement and looking for more from the Man from Muncie. Vince who ???

Another in a never ending list of great shows from the Kings of Country Rock.

**************************************************************************************

Notes and Quotes

**************************************************************************************

Songs from the 1975 LP Two Lane Highway still receive a thunderous reaction from fans. It’s no surprise as the it was critically acclaimed as one of the all time great country rock LP’s and resulted in a feature article in Rolling Stone magazine called “ PPL’s Golden Highway”. It was a turning point in country rock as the airwaves and clubs were turning to disco and The Eagles were turning to rock and roll. The NY Times said as much after the saviors of the genre turned out a masterpiece. Two Lane Highway, Pickin’ To Beat the Devil, K.C.Southern , Flat Tire Merle and Harvest were all big hits at the concert. The first four have long been staples on PPL’s set list. The addition of Harvest was a most welcome surprise as I hadn’t heard it live since 1976 and it, like that entire LP, was a winner. The Call-Clark duo ripped it up, big noise at the end from the prairie dogs, who know their history.

The latest PPL classic, All In Good Time, is treated like all the classics LP’s from the 70’s and 80’s , a solid indication of just how well the CD went over with fans, a bigger success than even the band hoped for both in sales and critical acclaim. The guys played two songs from it I hadn’t heard since it’s release and they were red hot. That Changes Everything Again and Here Tomorrow Gone Today were great additions. They also did Getting’ Over You another tune which has been a regular at shows since the release. The CD has been well represented at concerts for 6 years and for one reason: fans love it. There are numerous bands who have put out CD’s after an extended absence, and most of them disappear quietly as fans lean toward the older songs they heard years ago, failing to generate any real enthusiasm. Not so with All In Good Time. PPL fans and country rock fans in general know a classic when they hear it.

ANGEL #9. Talk about a surprise ! A terrific rendition of still one more classic that I hadn’t heard live. When I said that band members have spent much time each year keeping things fresh, this is exactly what I was speaking about. Rick loves the tune, and does a wonderful job on it. Heck, in in the early 70’s it wasn’t even popping up in concert. These guys really get into their work and we all benefit. Each year we are treated to songs which reach back into the PPL vault and this year is no different. There’s nothing better than going to a show and hearing something that catches you off guard, something that jolts you . That’s what these guys do, they jolt you, put you at ease, then take great delight in giving you another shock treatment. They take nothing for granted, complacency is not a familiar word to them. It’s all about dedication, hard work and a genuine enthusiasm from a group who loves what they do and want you to love it as much as they do. It works.

And the Steel goes round and round and round:
Since John David returned in 2010 the band has wisely made more use of the pedal steel. His steel, as much as anything or anyone in PPL history, was a large factor in the success of the band. Back in the early 70’s, when the band was getting organized, John’s pedal steel became the backbone of the band from a musical viewpoint. The band had a run of one straight week at Ebbett’s Field in CO and John’s performance dominated the shows and drew wide attention to PPL. It was one of many turning points for the band. Now the band is back to doing what it’s done since that time period and on every LP John appeared on. The steel is a focal point in all their tunes. Prior to his return, while the steel was certainly a major part of the band, it didn’t have that same focus PPL fans were accustomed to, it was more a traditional steel approach. The “twin leads” are back, the sound that dominated PPL’s rise to the top is alive and well and John and his steel are front and center as the band is now riding the wave of his licks. They love the spontaneity it gives them and so do the fans. The Call of The Wild is back and the prairie dogs are howling in delight.

Donnie loves working with John, has a sincere admiration for him. The feeling is mutual with John. The two work extremely well together and have gelled remarkably well. “ It’s great, we’re always looking to see what we can add to a song, try to bring something different to each show , keep it fresh.” Donnie is well versed in John’s past work and it’s helped him in his union with John . “ We both have a good feel for what the other may do, the spontaneity John brings keeps me going, keeps me on my toes and hopefully it elevates our sound.” For John’s part, he’s feeling it to: “ I’ve done it in the past with Craig and Larry and now with Donnie. Donnie is a great, great guitarist and we hit it off right away, we clicked. The two of us have it down, we play together as one, sometimes just a quick glance is all it takes and we’re off. I love playing with him,” The Call- Clark combo is a powerful one and yes , it certainly elevates PPL’s sound . The energy level in the band is at the highest level right now and these guys keep spiking it.

John was also quite enamored with Donnie’s vocals. “ We spent several weekends in Nashville awhile back, working on songs for the set, it’s something we do a few times a year , we like to have flexibility and be in a position to flip things around at various shows, it’s good for us and good for the fans. I had been used to Donnie doing a great job on Gill’s old stuff, but the more songs we worked on the more I heard his vocals come out, stronger and stronger. He’s got a great voice, great range and it’s a big lift to us when trying to work up new material.”

This was Donnie’s first trip to NY. He’s been all over the country with many top country acts in the past, but the Big Apple always escaped him. Mike said Donnie had a sunburned tongue from constantly staring up at the buildings , slack jawed. “ My neck isn’t doing too good either” said Donnie. “ I can’t believe this place, it’s amazing, the crowds , the buildings, everything. And it’s fast, real fast. I love it, we better come back !”

Mike and the guys hit The Carnegie Deli the day before the show. John’s eyes ere bigger than his stomach, ordering I’m told was an incredibly large Rueben sandwich. “ Oh, man ! That thing killed me. I could barely get through it. It was great though.” Mike said it must have been good, “ he took about a 14 hour nap after eating it.” John of course has been to NYC numerous times and loves coming back. BB Kings is only a few blocks from the venue where John recorded the PPL debut LP at RCA and he’s got a ton of memories of all the shows and people he’s met through the years including some impressive musicians who took in PPL concerts in NYC. Rick’s been here many times too, recording and appearing on Letterman and Leno prior to his PPL days.

Met Rick’s lovely wife Sarah, who couldn‘t have been nicer, it was a real pleasure for my wife and I , very enjoyable. At a venue afterwards several PPL tunes came blaring from the speakers, which surprised us. They also happened to be songs Rick just performed. Sarah had snuck off and arranged it, real nice stuff, not to mention the place had PPL’ music on hand. It had to be a classy place, right ? Rick is no slouch either when it comes to earning brownie points. When Rick sang Woman, I heard him slip in her name : “please Sarah wear your hair down for me”, instead of “woman”. Much fun, great couple, great time.

Speaking of Sarah, she gets major bonus points. I knew Rick and Donnie were close, Donnie performed on Rick’s first solo project The Salt Of The Earth ( a killer CD). I thought it was all Rick in regards to the recruitment of Donnie for PPL. It turns out Sarah had a big hand in it, She introduced Rick to Donnie. Sarah knew Donnie’s wife Robin., met and heard Donnie play and took it from there. I think I got that straight. Obviously it worked out well for the guys, the band and the fans. When will her talent agency open in Nashville?

Many loyal fans traded stories about the old days at various venues in the city. One couple from Wantagh LI were all enthused after the show, talking to Mike about a show at The Beacon Theater. Mike called me over and we all traded war stories. The show he was talking about was in 1976, and the guys had just released Dance. It was a great one for sure and I sat next to John’s brother Jim at it. That was Jim’s misfortune. Anyway, this guy was so excited about the show he just saw, was a huge fan and this man’s enthusiasm was contagious. I put him over the edge with some welcome news: I asked did he ever hear of a site called Wolfgang’s Vault. Of course he did, he loved it. I told him when you get home, hit that site, check out the concert section, type in PPL. You’ll get a recording of that ‘76 show at The Beacon. I can’t tell you how excited he was, he was in disbelief and I have no doubt he went home and did just that. It was a blast and so enjoyable to see this couple so happy , all part of an incredible evening.

Nice to see Jon Rosenbaum and his wife again. Jon caught the Red Bank NJ show two nights before. “ Wait until you hear them, they sounded great.” I admit I did expect as much. When the show ended he was very enthusiastic “ Didn’t I tell you, weren’t they great !.” they certainly were Jon ! This time I will be in touch re: videos and CD’s Jon. Hope to hear from you.

Missed the LI Dog at this one, hope all is well Tom.

John’s brother Jim was at the show it was so great to see him again ! Jim was at a show in Bayshore , LI a few years ago along with his wife Judy and one of his daughters. They couldn’t make it this time, but I was thrilled to see Jim again. We’ve been friends about 40 years, worked together in the 70’s- again, Jim’s misfortune, and we soon went our separate ways. The few times we’ve managed to catch up are wonderful, but there is never enough time. Especially when brother John hogs up all Jim’s time before the show. Jim sat with us and was so excited to catch John’s act again, and to see Mike Reilly play with him since Mike was ill at the last concert Jim attended. Many years back my first impression were these two could not be further apart in terms on interests , personality etc. But it wasn’t long before I saw how much in common they had, how incredibly close they were. They still are in constant contact with each and I couldn’t be happier for them. Two great guys, two class acts.

Prior to the show a lady was pleading with John as he sat with Jim, asking for Early Morning Riser. John told her it wasn’t on the set list, and she was disappointed to say the least. He told her he’d talk to the guys, see if they could get it in. Sure enough, that lady’s wish was granted.

Rick had a huge contingent at the concert, a few tables filled with family members, several sisters, a brother in law. Two sisters were at our table, and like the rest of the clan were an absolute pleasure to meet. After the show my wife and I met them with Rick at a place called Looneys, close to BB Kings. These are some of the nicest people you could meet and there were many laughs. His sisters remain incredibly loyal, not willing to give up an ounce of dirt on Rick. They hail from Homer, NY. It’s upstate , I’ve never been there but the obvious jokes were made about a small town. When I stated it looked like half of Homer was at the show, Rick’s brother in law said “ No, this is all of Homer.” He’s from NJ, so he understands. A very close knit, friendly group that I hope to see again, so great spending time with them.

I’m familiar with the city. As we walked to the venue, the usual suspects were all out, vendors, nut jobs, preachers, etc. We got lost in it all and I walked a few blocks past the location. We turned to head back. No problem, it was very early. At one point some bozo came bouncing out ranting about something. “That’s it“, my wife said, we’re taking a cab back to the train later on. I didn’t care , to me it was normal, almost expected. Not more than a half block later a booming growl came from directly behind our heads. “ Gimmie some money, gimmie a dollar. ” Diane let out a scream, we turned quickly . It was Mike Reilly having himself a blast. It turns out he was heading back to his hotel and he too went down the wrong block. He said he saw a guy with a PPL shirt on, got closer and realized it was me and decided to have some fun. There was time to kill so we hit a local spot and had a great time catching up on things. A terrific start to a wonderful evening.

The night went all too quickly, it always does. We were somewhat saddened that we were unable to attend the Amagansett LI show the next night, but the way this summer has gone we also realized just how great it was to hit NYC and catch PPL, fantastic time. We hope to catch them again, maybe upstate NY or CT. Final note: missed our train, took a cab home from NYC to LI. Beat the cabbie out of $30.00. Win -win all the way around. Some people never grow up.
Last edited by Tom on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: BB KINGS: REVIEW AND NOTES FROM KILLER SHOW IN NYC

Postby LIDog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Hi Tom, and hi Mike, John, Rick, and Donnie! I had held out hope right down to the wire that I might somehow find a way to make it to BB King's, but I just couldn't pull it off. Then, I figured I'd wait until your usual awesome review before writing. Another great job Tom! I almost felt like I was there! I'm so happy to hear that everyone is healthy, happy, and still showing the world what country rock is all about! I'm certainly not surprised to hear how well these great musicians played as a four piece. I sure missed some great additions to the set. You don't have to ask me twice if I'd want to hear Harvest, Angel #9, etc!

Everything's going really well Tom, thanks. That was so kind of you to mention me. I've just been really busy. Let's keep in touch about the upstate and CT gigs. Maybe a road trip on the Two lane Highway is in the cards!

All the Best,
LI Dog
LIDog

Postby schmoopy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 am

Hi,

First of all thanks Tom for your usual tremendous effort regarding coverage of the show, the set list, insight and sidenotes of the evening.

I had a little trouble with a new password or would have posted sooner.

I've been to a few PPL concerts the last several years and I was crazy over the band at BB's. These guys sounded awesome ! I love the non-stop action of them, jumping from one song into the next, the way the whole show flows, never a letdown. Incredible musicians with voices that are as good or better than anything I've heard in PPL shows in the past. This is a very hot band, and as stated by Tom their efforts in keeping their shows fresh pays off big time. It was great to hear some songs I thought I'd probably never hear again , great to see PPL still kicking butt ! A wonderful evening with friends, and a crowd that rocked as much as the band. It was also a great touch how the band singled out Tom from this website, thanking him for his efforts and dedication, then playing a song for him. The band hung out , talked to fans, signed whatever was asked of them which made it even more special. They just don't make them like PPL anymore and anyone at BB's will tell you the same.

I can't wait to see them again, hopefully upstate NY or in CT. It would be well worth the trip. I'm already looking forward to more PPL in 2012. Keep it going guys, you're still the best !

See you next time,
Schmoopy
schmoopy

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:46 pm

Hey guys,

Nice to hear from you. Hopefully I'll make the upstate show or one of the CT ones. I'm always optimistic. BB KIngs sure was a great night, many fans talkied it up before and after the show, a very spirited and happy bunch.

Side note to Rick Schell's sister: I'm still waiting for Rick's picture. You promised and I know people from Homer do not break promises. Do not cave in to Rick's idle threats.

There were a few terrific reviews on the Ticketmaster review section of the show so I'l post them here. Hopefully in a week I'll get some pics posted.

PPL : WOW !! IT DOESN"T GET ANY BETTER !!
BB KINGS New York City
08/06/2011
Posted by TRBC

What a great night of music!! These guys were unbelievable, full of energy, a fiery red hot performance which thrilled a very enthusiastic audience.
They played a terrific set, filled with a variety of styles, but overall a very up tempo, extremely tight band. The pedal steel player, John Call, an original member, was phenomenal, the best steel I've ever heard, and I've heard many. The lead guitarist Donnie Clark also blew the crowd away and his interaction with the steel was incredible. Excellent harmonies with three gifted lead singers as Mike Reilly and Rick Schell also took their turns. There wasn't a single down moment in the show, a very versatile group. The band started out on fire and it kept burning right through their two encores. They played 20 songs, and the crowd knew every one, roaring and applauding many times, even in the middle of songs after a superb steel or guitar lick. The venue allocated them a certain amount of time, and PPL exceeded it. BB Kings staff really worked hard at clearing the crowd out as it ended but fans were still hanging, talking about what a great show it was.The band hung out, signed things, very friendly group. I've seen many from this genre over the past few years, this was the easily the best.
I'll definitely see these guys again, hopefully in NY but I'm willing to travel a bit for it, something I rarely do too much anymore, but it's worth it !

Favorite moment: PEDAL STEEL and GUITARS ! They segued songs several times which really kept the crowd hyped.

Pure Prairie League rocks
B.B. King Blues Club and Grill New York , NY
Posted by PrairieDog47

This was my fourth live show with the band. They're always fun and involve the audience. They pulled out some real oldies for this appearance and included some new songs from their most recent CD (All In Good Time). It's great when the entire audience sings along. After the show, the band members come out to greet the audience while selling CDs and other items (25% of the proceeds go towards The Austism Foundation). The band genuinely enjoys what they do and the audience gets pulled along for the ride. Their new material is as great as the old. ENJOY! Hope they continue to return to NY!!

Favorite moment: Meeting the band after the show for some pictures
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Wow, what an incredible review! Glad to hear you had such a great time, and that the League put on such an awesome show!
Doug

Return to Concert Reviews