Red Bank, NJ 8/04

Post all Pure Prairie League concert reviews here.

Red Bank, NJ 8/04

Postby Tom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 am

Hi guys,

The Legends show at Count Basie did quite well based on some fans and band members I spoke to and heard from. PPL, Poco and Firefall all put on a night of great music at a wonderful venue. Never been there, wish I had made it but we still can't seem to get out of the house for 4-5 hours, a rather trying summer so far to say the least. That's changes for a few hours tonight though at BB King's in NYC.

Matt, thanks for the email from your friend re: PPL's performance. Some of it was unclear but I think I have the gist of it.

Home at last,
Tom Sheridan

"Pure Prairie League was on their A game, ripped it up but good ! Energetic country rock , like always. The guys took turns on lead vocals, each one sounded terrific.Steel man John Call , well, he may be even better than what he did when it started, UNREAL !! Donnie on guitar is a major player.Call-Clark have it going, Mike still runs it and sings great, as does drummer Rick.The guys played some great songs I hadn't heard in years, things from Two Lane Highway LP, and a few from All In Good Time, should have been a longer set, but it was excellent , it covered many years of great music.The band gets an A for this one. PPL heaven for me. Maybe CT or NY for my encore !" Jonnie VB.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Red Bank, NJ 8/04

Postby mdg53 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 am

I attended the concert at Red Bank, NJ on 8/4/11. This is a great venue and I have been there many times, usually to see America every year. While I thoroughly enjoyed the show, the biggest problem was the drum kit gave the drummer fits all night. His bass drum kept sliding forward and at one point his bass pedal came off the bass drum. I went with my brother;both of us are drummers and my former band relied heavily on PPL songs. I missed Louise, All The Lonesome Cowboys, but was thrilled to hear Amie, Two Lane Highway and KC Southern, my favorite PPL song. All that being said, I am still a big fan, but the drummer and techs need to have fixed any problems before they started.
mdg53

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:33 am

Hi mdg53,

Glad you had a good time. I had a great one at BB king's last night ! Quite a few fans from Red bank were at last night's show and raved about PPL's performance in NJ, which is why they decided to show up last night.

The drummer is Rick Schell. He's been with PPL since 1998 and also has two highly acclaimed solo CD's out. No one takes more time than Rick at soundcheck, I know as I've been to them numerous times. He runs the show at these checks and doesn't let anyone rush the band as I've seen happen with other groups.

If he had a problem with his drums I can assure you it was unexpected and these things can happen. And his drum sliding forward was not a problem on his part, not due to a lack of preparartion. If you think for one second that it didn't piss Rick off, you don't know Rick. People who attend concerts enough are aware these things can happen. I spoke with at least eight people who were at Red Bank, maybe a few more, all raved about the show, none of them mentioned the drum issue. While I know it did happen, my point is the concert they put on apparently outweighed the issue you mentioned. It's all part of it sometimes.

He's done shows with PPL for over a decade and that night was the first issue with his drum set. Let's not get too judgmental on a guy who breaks his chops every night.He had no issues at BB Kings that's for sure. He's an incredible drummer and vocalist and no one in the band pours their heart into it as much as he does.

The guys have been hitting on many of the tunes from the Two Lane Highway years and have more in the works, their setlist evolves. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Lonesome Cowboys in the future, I hope so, it was a great one from Dance. I loved Harvest last night more than I did in the 70's, Clark and Call were on fire.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your input, it is certainly most appreciated. The guys have three accoustic shows in Nov. in CT and upstate NY that fans were talking about going to after the show.

I'll be back later with much more on BB King's , a great concert, great crowd.

Here's Rick's reaction to the mention of the drum issue:

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi gang,

Here's a great review from the Ticketmaster review section for the NJ show.
Take care, Tom

PPL TOPS AT COUNTRY ROCK LEGENDS NIGHT
Count Basie Theatre Red Bank , NJ
08/04/2011

FF opened and were also great as a trio, very talented. Jock Bartley makes it a guitar show at times, great show, nice harmonies. They too got chumped with a 30 minute set. Unbelievable that these acts and their fans were cheated out of deserving time by the venue. I'd see FF again although I was never a big FF fan and really didn't think of them as country rock.

PPL was the top act at The Country Rock Legends show with a stunning set of music that was as hot as any country rock show I've been to in too many years. PPL is high octane +, and these guys play for keeps. No fillers, just one rip roaring tune after another. Excellent musicians, each one has their moments whether it's on lead vocals, or some dazzling lead guitar or the best pedal steel you will ever hear (J.Call is SUPER ! ). The lead guitarist, Donnie Clark and Call really have something special happening , MAJOR talents ! These guys rocked and have a very diverse set which also features bass player Mike Reilly, longtime leader and drummer Rick Schell, both superb singers and musicians. Gotta love it !

Unfortunately, the show was ridiculously short ! After about 45 they were done leaving many fans shocked and disappointed. These guys should have closed out the night. I was so impressed I decided to head to NY two nights later with a large contingent of friends from this show to catch PPL by themselves. That was a smart move on our part as they killed it there in the type of show I expected to see at Legends, a show where they were given the time they deserve and played about 20 songs.See these guys if you get a chance but not at this type of thing.
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Concert Reviews