William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ

Post all Pure Prairie League concert reviews here.

William Paterson University, Wayne, NJ

Postby billyJvoltare » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:03 pm

Posted this in a different area...silly me, it's been too long since I posted, and I didn't see this 'Concert Reviews' area...so I'm pasting it here too:

Hey prairiedogs.
Haven't posted in forever, and it was hell trying to get logged back in, BUT, I just had to let folks know that I caught PPL in Wayne, NJ last Friday night, opening for Poco, and I was so pleased by their performance! So very cool to see John David Call back with the band, playing sweet steel on every single song. Hadn't seen the band since before Mike's surgery, and he is back and better than ever. Craig was perfect on vocals. Donnie Lee nailed some of the Vince Gill songs, and Rick Schell contributed some leads as well.
Loved 'Misery Train' near the end. Oh man, I was so jazzed by this fine performance. They were relaxed, funny, professional, and really spirited, especially as the show moved along. It took the edge off of a somewhat disappointing set by Poco, who still seem to be finding their sea legs with their new lineup and arrangements.
PPL made the night for me. I hadn't thought to see them again but now, I can't wait to find out where they'll be in 2011.
I saw a few hints in this forum of a new recording project; all I can say is, oh yeah, I hope so! The band is still great, and I can't think of anyone who loves Americana music, which is always gaining new talent and new audiences, who wouldn't love to see how talented and enjoyable these original masters of the genre STILL are. I hope they are up to it, and most of all, I hope to see another great show next year.
Been digging out my old PPL CD's all week and listening to stuff I haven't heard in forever, and I see the Dance album is available on iTunes; another one of my favorites. Now if we could only get the entire Live Takin the Stage album there...
Thanks guys. You definitely rock.
billyJvoltare

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome back stranger !

I'm glad you finally caught up with PPL, they've hit your area a few times in recent years. I remember you caught them back in Oct '04 at Scottish Rite which pretty much kicked off what is going even stronger today !

You are not alone in hoping for a new recording but we'll have to see how that turns out. It's a possibility but so much hinges on the guys personal responsibilities and families. All In Good Time was an amazing success for fans, critics and band members so if that should turn out to be a final all new recording, well, we can thank our lucky stars for it. That CD showed they weren't just another run of the mill 70's acts that are floating around and added yet another classic release to their credit.

Over the past several years PPL has received some very high praise for their shows all over the country. It's up to them how far they go, the talent level knows no bounds, they are as good today as anyone who ever played country rock. The return of John David Call to a full time tour was HUGE !! He's still at the top of the heap, and this from a guy who hasn't played it for a living since 1977, nothing short of incredible. I haven't stopped listening to a recording I made of a Bayshore NY show where several times the crowd, without prompting, burst into spontaneous applause after his licks, he was red hot and the crowd loved it.

Certainly the band has already left an indelible mark as one of the most successful and influential country rock bands with some achievements only PPL can claim. But if they should decide to record again, hopefully they will be releasing it prior to December 21, 2012 at 11:11 PM. My most recent Mayan calendar shows that on that date all concerts will be cancelled as well as new releases.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Jim, maybe next year we'll catch up at a show. Thanks for stopping by !

Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Concert Reviews