The East Orange Express

Post all Pure Prairie League concert photos, old ads, ticket stubs, promo shots etc here.

The East Orange Express

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:24 am

Here's a concert poster from the Cincinnati Pop Festival that the EOE express played at. As stated on the other thread, Mike Reiily , Mike Connor and Billy Hinds were in the band. Note also another band called The Glass Wall is also on the bill. This band was another local favorite and I believe that Connor had done a stint with them and Larry Goshorn may have briefly appeared at some point with them also.

Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:29 am

Tom:

If you notice Whalefeathers is also listed on the bill.

Whalefeathers Guitarist and Bassist Mike Wheeler played with the band in their last two years, went on to work with Grammy-winning Nashville songwriter Mike Reid. Wheeler also led an act called Wheels, who recorded on Boardwalk, with an album that Craig Fuller sang background on a couple songs, and who toured with Little Feat in '78. He's also worked more recently with Paul Barrere.

Mike
Last edited by Vice Admiral Swiss Navy on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the info Mike, most appreciated. It sure looks like this poster has some real memories attached to it , especially to the guys who grew up in the area. That Wheels LP, I know you mentioned it previously, wouldn't that be a great find ! We'll have to keep an eye out for it. Someone , somewhere has it.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Jazzman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:05 am

This question is slightly off the subject so I hope no one will shoot me! I've got a live recording of the Outlaws from 1975. It was recorded at the 5th floor studios in Cincinnati. They had played the Ohio River Music Festival earlier in the day. Frank Wood is the DJ and they mention something about the Martha White show. I understand that the 5th floor studios caught fire and a lot of great recordings were lost. I unable to find anything about the Ohio River Festival or who or what Martha White Show was. Anyone have some knowledge to share.
Thanks jazzman
Jazzman

Postby fanzine » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:40 pm

This may be way off, but there was a Martha White Flour Company that would sponsor various shows. For example Flatt and Scruggs. Perhaps this particular show was sponsored by Martha White Flour. Just a guess.
fanzine

Postby Doug » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:24 pm

Right. The Martha White Bluegrass Express Tour began 50 years ago with Martha White Flour sponsoring Flatt and Scruggs and the Foggy Mountain Boys. Today they are sponsoring four-time (consecutive) IBMA vocalist of the year Rhonda Vincent and the Rage, on tour Jan-Dec. A question that comes to mind is: Were they, and if so, who were they sponsoring in 1975? You can go to www.marthawhite.com and research more. They have a "contact us" feature, so perhaps you can e-mail them and ask them what this Martha White Show was all about. If you do, please share the info, maybe others can chime in and help solve this mystery.
Also, just curious as to the content of your Outlaws live recording. What's the set list? Bet it's some good stuff!
Doug

Postby Jazzman » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:10 am

Thanks for all the info. I just may contact Martha White. Here is the setlist.

Outlaws
5th Floor Studios
Cincinnati Ohio
08/02/75

Live Radio Broadcast.
Recorded After the Ohio River Music Festival.
DJ Frank Wood.

1. Frank Wood Intro
2. Song In The Breeze
3. Intro of Band
4. Song For YOU
5. Prisoner
6. There Goes Another Love Song
7. Kansas City Queen "Never Released"
Jazzman

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:39 pm

[quote="Jazzman"]This question is slightly off the subject so I hope no one will shoot me! /quote]

Click..............ah, can't do it, it's the season , ya know ? But I wouldn't get too close to the guy over there with that thick rope Jazzman.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:51 pm

Hey VP, this one's for you. No LP yet but we'll settle for some pics.

Here's Wheels, a publicity shot for their 1st TV appearance.
L to R Front: Mike Baney (tragically killed after a show with the Goshorn Bros at Tommy's On The Main), Mickey Foellger ( appeared at the Mike Connor tribute in Ft. Thomas), L to R back : Mike Wheeler, Steve Lester, Jeff Seeman.

Here's a shot of a few old LP covers from Whalefeathers:

Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tilehead » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:21 pm

Sin Sin Nati
is the way they should spell
Cincinnati, Ohio
Tilehead

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 am

"We'd like another round of drinks bartender,
and would you please take all the empties away..."
Tom
Site Admin

Re: The East Orange Express

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:14 am

Tom wrote:Here's a concert poster from the Cincinnati Pop Festival that the EOE express played at. As stated on the other thread, Mike Reiily , Mike Connor and Billy Hinds were in the band. Note also another band called The Glass Wall is also on the bill. This band was another local favorite and I believe that Connor had done a stint with them and Larry Goshorn may have briefly appeared at some point with them also.

Tom, what year was this particular festival? I have a possible lead on some footage from the 1970 Cincinnati Pop Festival at which Mountain supposedly played at. If this is the same festival, I will get more info on the video and find out if any of our guys are on it. If they are, I'll see what I can do about getting a copy and making it available to anyone interested.
Doug

Postby Tom » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:55 am

Hi Doug,

Yes this show was from 1970.

The actual date was 3/26/70. It would be great if there is some footage around, let me know. It would be something to catch a viewing of Mike Reilly and Mike Connor from back then !
Tom
Site Admin

Wheels

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 pm

Here is a copy of the cover of the Wheels LP.

Mike

Free Image Hosting [xs.to]
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Found Some For Sale

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Tom wrote:Thanks so much for the info Mike, most appreciated. It sure looks like this poster has some real memories attached to it , especially to the guys who grew up in the area. That Wheels LP, I know you mentioned it previously, wouldn't that be a great find ! We'll have to keep an eye out for it. Someone , somewhere has it.

Tom:

I found a copy of the Wheels LP for $25 plus $4 shipping on ebay.com at the following link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wheels-Ohio-LP-Psyc ... dZViewItem

There is also some other interesting things on ebay, including some 8 x 10 Promo photos from United Artists for the American Flyer album.

Shipping for these is 1-3 $4 or $4.50 for all 5

This one is Craig for $7:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-FLYER-Crai ... dZViewItem

This one is Doug for $7:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-FLYER-Doug ... dZViewItem

This one is Steve for $7:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-FLYER-Stev ... dZViewItem

This one is Eric for $7:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-FLYER-Eric ... dZViewItem

And finally this one is of the whole band for $8:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _Stores_IT

Mike