Your first exposure to PPL

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Postby fanzine » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Just up the street from the "Headquaters" store mentioned by DMTSM there was a record store in Marietta called "Scents and Sounds". I had seen the first PPL lp and "Bustin' Out" there probably while looking for Poco records. The lp covers fascinated me and I thought I'd probably like them. One day I decided to buy one ( can't remember which was first- most likely PPL ). Took it home and after hearing it had to make another trip to town to get the other one that same day.
fanzine

Re: Poe Ditch Music Festival

Postby DocL » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm

RollAlong wrote:I had Bustin' Out in my collection, but the first live concert was at Bowling Green, OH stadium for the Poe Ditch Festival in 1975. They were very good. The Outlaws, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Ritchie Havens, and others also played before the lightening canceled the rest of the show. Johnny Winter never hit the stage due to the storm. Our own little "Woodstock" at BGSU!

I was at that concert sitting 20 feet from center stage on the football field. What a day!
I write about that particular day on a recent blog: http://doclehman.wordpress.com

I have been fortunate to see PPL seven or eight times since the 70's and until recently I didn't know about the Waverly connection. I have been going to Waverly several times a year since 1972 for races at KC Raceway, never knew about what an active area it was musically. Sounded like a hotbed for music.
DocL

First Time I saw Pure Prairie League

Postby mbjjjbeard » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:41 pm

Saw PPL twice in 1972 / 1973 at Kent State University in the student auditorium. Had listened extensively to the first two albums and was thrilled to see them in person. Saw PPL again in Aug 2006 at Columbus State Universtiy, Georgia with my son, daughter, and wife. Craig signed both of my original albums and they are hanging in my basement now. Been a fan for years and will continue to follow the band. Still think the first two albums are the best PPL albums.
Not sure if Craig was still with the band in 72/73 when they played at Kent State. Gettin too old to remember details just remember the concerts were great.
Mark Beard
mbjjjbeard

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:35 am

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recent posts.

It's great to hear the recollections from so many years ago. Fans came on board with PPL during various times and places all across the country , and they all have a story to tell.

Doc, Waverly certainly was a hotbed ! Check out a post I made under the Concert Forum re: The Bayshore NY show last Sept 14. It has a few anecdotes about how far back Craig Fuller and John David Call go. Waverly and the surrounding towns are legendary for the many musicians who played their in the late 60's and 70's.Fans who grew up in that area never tire of talking about it, it's amazing. I have met and heard stories from band members and people who grew up there and one story always leads into another. There is an enormous pride in these people and righfully so !

Mark, Isn't it something how over 30 years later we attend these show with our families ? We've been to several together and it's wonderful they got to not only see PPL, but met Mike , Craig, John David, and the "newer" members, guys that I had been spinning stories about forever.

My guess is you probably saw a lineup with Craig, definitely if it was in '72. He left somewhere around Feb 73. You've got me going now. I have to see if I can find out the date of your show.

Have a good one,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Your first exposure to PPL

Postby mbjjjbeard » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:30 pm

Tom....I found one of the concerts I attended in 1973 at Kent State. Good review of the concert in the Kent Stater magazine. It was Feb 1973. Looks like Craig Fuller did perform. Must have been one of his last concerts before he left PPL.
I know the PPL performed twice within the year but I cannot find the second concert. WIll keep looking
http://dks.library.kent.edu/cgi-bin/ken ... 27-01.2.30

Mark Beard
mbjjjbeard

Previous

Return to Pure Prairie League