Jim McKell

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Jim McKell

Postby JR » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 am

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of yet another member of our family. This past week Jim McKell, long-time sound engineer for the band, passed away as the result of a heart attack. LIke Randy Allen, who we lost a little over a year ago, Jim was part of the crew along with Herb Ault, myself, and others. Along with John Call, Jim was co-owner of the sound and light company, Thunder and Lightning, that provided sound and lights for the band for years. Jim mixed the house sound while I was mixing monitors.

Mr. Jim (as we called him) was an incredibly talented sound person, musician, record producer and entrepreneur. In the late 1980's Jim relocated to Nashville where he established himself as a top recording engineer and producer. His list of credits include albums by The Judds, Kenny Rogers, Shelby Lynn, Kathy Matea, Mark Selby and Chet Atkins to name a few. Jim is survived by his Mother and Father as well as the love of his life, Kathy Gray, with whom he made his home in Atlanta, GA.

Jim was my mentor for many years and, along with John Call, was the primary reason I'm a recording engineer and professor today. Most importanly though is that Jim was a good friend. A tireless worker, he only accepted the best in his work and the work of others. He loved his time on the road with PPL as we all did. Mr. Jim will be missed by us all.
JR

Re: Jim McKell

Postby prairiedog » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Dear JR & Fellow Prairie Dogs;
I couldn't have said it any better. Mr. Jim was an integral part of the team that built the PPL legacy. A great set of ears, always easy to work with, and extreme dedication & loyalty were but a few of his many fine qualities. He's probably up there helping Randy set up Conway's piano for a celestial set with so many more of our dear friends. Bev, the Doc & Kathy are in our thoughts and prayers. As the Holidays are upon us, take a moment to count your blessings, and let your friends know you love them.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and we'll see you all in the New Year !

Mike, John David, Donnie & Scott
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

RIP Jim.
Thanks Jeff for letting us living away from Ohio know about Mr. Jim's passing. His entire family will be in our thoughts.
Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Lynn Fargo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm

So sorry for your loss, guys.
Lynn
Lynn
Lynn Fargo

Return to Pure Prairie League