Mike Connor: A moment to reflect

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Mike Connor: A moment to reflect

Postby Tom » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey prairiedogs,

Well another year has flown by and I'd be remiss if I didn't find time to give a shout out to the heavens to Mike "Conway" Connor, the man who brought us all such joy for decades . PPL thrives 42 years after it's birth and Conway was a huge factor in the success of PPL. An extraordinary talent who left us far too soon, his legacy is one we should all be so lucky to have. Mike passed away to cancer 7 years ago, but he left us the gift that keeps on giving.

Have a good one,
Tom Sheridan

"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Mike Connor: A moment to reflect

Postby prairiedog » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:53 pm

Tom, and Prairiedogs one and all;
Today is the 62nd anniversary of Michael Connor's birth - another Pearl Harbor Day that will live in infamy. We all miss him and keep him in our hearts and in our thoughts. You can be sure he's sitting at the Corner of Heaven on the end stool having a laugh with our other departed brothers and sisters. Keep a seat warm for us, and bang out a few licks on the upright, Conway ! We'll see you in the Sweet Bye & Bye.
Lovingly,
Reilly
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Postby Tom » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:47 am

Hey gang,

For the unaware, Mike Reilly's friendship with Mike Connor extends long before they became members of PPL. The two were in different teen bands, along with drummer Billy Hinds long before PPL. The bands crossed paths and joined forces. Conway and Mike were members of The East Orange Express around 1967 and also The Lee Riders who released an LP in 1972 and toured England , opening for David Bowie. The guys actually were mucking stalls at a racetrack at one point in their misspent youth ! Obviously their freindship goes well beyond the music.

Let tomorrow be tomorrow's unmasking,
Tom Sheridan

"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby prairiedog » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:53 am

Tom;
Once again, spot on with the info quest and arcane historical facts. To go a step further, Michael Connor & Billy Hinds played in a band in the mid-60s called The Corvairs. As they did with PPL, Hinds and Connor got me the job with the East Orange Express (we were mostly all from the same area in Northern KY) as well as bringing me to Woodstock, NY to join the Robert Lee Band (renamed The Lee Riders by our British record label). Hinds was one of the premier drummers in the Cincinnati area, playing with a number of outstanding players early in his career, and Connor's pre-PPL days were equally illustrious in the local scene. Check out The Glass Wall, a magnificent early prog-rock band from Cincinnati. Michael, Billy and I also played with the Goshorn Brothers Band, which made it a natural choice for Larry and Tim Goshorn to join PPL in the Seventies.
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Postby prairiedog » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:48 am

PrairieDogs;
Another year has passed and we honor Michael Connor's birthday - December 7th, 1949. This would have been Michael's 65th birthday. It's hard to believe he's been gone 10 years. He's always in my thoughts, and he's frequently in my dreams. Sure do miss you, Conway !
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Return to Pure Prairie League